The Ambulatory Clinical Specialist will provide specialized care for medication management by reviewing medication regiments and pharmaceutical needs for patients in ambulatory clinical setting
• Coordinates a transitions of care medication plan for high risk patients transitioning from hospital or other clinical setting to home. Review and reconcile all medications upon discharge to assess for potential duplicate therapy, inappropriate dosing, or missing medication orders/prescriptions.
• Communicates directly with prescriber to resolve patient’s medication -related issues and provide a written discharge medication plan. Coordinates the dispensing of discharge medications if necessary
• Reviews medication orders and monitor laboratory parameters and adjust medication to ensure optimal therapy in collaboration with primary care providers.
• Educates and counsels patients on medications and explains in detail any and all changes to their regimen. Addresses and resolves potential barriers to patient understanding or medication access and provides patient with a written medication plan.
• Attends multi-disciplinary rounds to determine patient’s disposition when needed. Educates physician and clinical staff on any new pharmacuetical therapies.
• Serves as patient advocate, ensuring that quality care is given.