Performs breast imaging procedures in accordance with applicable scope and standards of practice and with the policies, values, and mission of the organization.
• Reviews patient history and physician’s orders. Educates patient regarding procedures, equipment and exam to ensure patient’s understanding and cooperation.
• When ordered, prepares and administers contrast media and/or medications within scope of practice. Monitors patient condition continually and reports/responds to changes in status as appropriate. May assist physician with performing interventional procedures including fine needle aspiration and needle localization.
• Prepares equipment and supplies. Selects appropriate exposure factors and imaging parameters. Implements safety standards and performs appropriate quality control procedures on equipment. Troubleshoots, resolves, and/or reports equipment malfunctions as necessary. Participates in ensuring compliance with the Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) regulations.
• Positions patient and performs imaging procedure(s). Analyzes results and identifies issues with the quality of imaging results. Takes appropriate action to resolve image quality issues, including repositioning patient and repeating procedure. Enters, transmits and reports scan results.
• Charges appropriately for all supplies used for procedures.